Color postcard (14 x 8.5 cm) with a view of 34th & Meredith Avenue, and Nazareth Home, 4624 North 34th Street. The building on the right was the original hospital built in 1890. The building on the left is the new one built in 1910. The old hospital then became Nazareth Home for elderly and disabled. Both buildings are large, brick, gothic structures. The reverse side is postmarked August 24, 1915. The reverse side also includes a handwritten message, and is addressed to Mrs. Hans Nelsen, Kimballton, Iowa. The one cent postage stamp features George Washington in profile.
Immanuel Hospital, located at 4516 North 34th street, was completed in December 1890 and is seen on the right in this image. It was organized by the Swedish-Americans of Omaha from a plan conceived by Reverend E. A. Fogelstrom, Lutheran minister. They soon outgrew the hospital and so a new one was built (building seen on the left side of image) and opened in 1910 with a 65-bed capacity, 24 of which were in private rooms. The hospital treated about 1000 patients annually. The old hospital was then turned into the Nazareth Home to serve the elderly and those with disabilities. More lots were acquired and this area eventually evolved into the Immanuel Deaconess Institute which was controlled by the Augustana (Swedish) Synod of the Lutheran Church occupying five square blocks between Meredith and Fowler Avenues on 34th Street and included the hospital, home for invalids, home for aged, children's home, Deaconess Home, and church. The hospital eventually was used as a girl's dormitory. Source: Immanuel Medical Center. Immanuel Centennial 1887-1987: A Century of Caring. Omaha, Nebraska: Immanuel Medical Center (1987?)
Omaha Nebr. Aug. 24-1915 Dear Cousin; Brought patient here 12 days ago, operated, getting along fine. Expect to leave Thursday. Weather cool today, but have had some beautiful days. Kindest regards to all Yours Minnie Olsen