Black and white postcard (13 x 8 cm) with a view of Lake School, located at 2410 North 19th Street, Omaha, Nebraska. It is a brick two-story school. It has a peaked roofline with decorative elements at the peaks. There is a bell tower protruding from the top of one part of the left side of the building and a large American flag from the right side. There are trees about as tall as the building lining the sidewalk in front and a street lamp post on the left side. Written across the top in ink is: This is where the boys attend school. The postmark on the reverse side is December 6, 1909 over a one cent stamp featuring Benjamin Franklin in profile. The card is addressed to Mr. John Cameron, Twanda, Ill., and includes a handwritten message.
Located at 2410 North 19th Street, Lake School was erected in 1888. Lake School evolved from an earlier frame schoolhouse opened in 1879 making Lake the oldest school in the Omaha District. Many time-honored traditions were started by the school's first principal Miss Emma Whitmore. Names of graduates were locked in a metal box and buried beneath a new tree. The key was then attached by ribbon to a pigeon released to an unknown destination. Source: Omaha Public Library Omaha History Clipping File- Elementary Schools, Public - Lake School.