Black & white postcard (13.5 x 8.5 cm) with a view of Jefferson Square, 16th & Chicago Streets, Omaha, Nebraska. In the foreground is a circular walkway around a fenced in planting bed. The other side of the walkway has an expanse of lawn which leads into a row of large trees in the background of the image. There are some tall buildings seen through the trees. The postmark on the reverse side is October 7, 1908 over an one cent postage stamp featuring a full view of Benjamin Franklin, and there is a handwritten message. The card is addressed to Mr. Erin Morrison, Gretna, Nebr.
Few cities in the 19th century made provisions for parkland within city limits. Space was simply too valuable. Omaha was one of the cities to do so. Jefferson Square, bounded by 15th, 16th, Cass & Chicago Streets, was platted in the original city layout. Attempts to build upon or subdivide the property were nevertheless made. The formation of the Park Commission in 1889 prevented any further attempts. $20,000 was spent on improvements to the park. Jefferson Square was destroyed in March of 1969 to make way for Interstate 480. Source: Wakeley, Arthur. Omaha: The Gate City and Douglas County, Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, c1917, p.159-60.