Color postcard (14 x 9 cm) with a view of Wise Memorial Hospital on the southwest corner of 24th Avenue & Harney Streets, Omaha, Nebraska. The building is red brick with decorative white brick elements around the windows. The end wings are larger than the center portion, creating a slight courtyard where steps lead up to the main entrance. There is green lawn and a large flowering tree in the center courtyard area. The title of the card "Wise Memorial Hospital, Omaha, Neb." is written in red in the top left corner. The reverse side of the card includes a handwritten message, the address of Miss Ellen Larson, Valpariso, Saunder Co., Nebr., RFD #1, c/o K. D. Ahl, an incomplete postmark, and a one cent postage stamp featuring Benjamin Franklin in profile.
Named for Rabbi Joseph M. Wise, this hospital was begun through fundraising in 1899 by Mrs. J.L. Brandeis. A lot, 150 by 200 feet at 406 South 24th Street, was purchased in 1912 for $125,000. Wise Memorial treated over 1,000 patients between 1912 and 1917. At some point the hospital was abandoned, and the Lutheran Hospital Association purchased the building and opened the Lutheran Hospital there in March, 1931. Source: Wakeley, Arthur. Omaha: The Gate City and Douglas County, Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, c1917, p. 359, and Omaha Chamber of Commerce Journal, March, 1931, p. 4.