Color postcard (14 x 9 cm.) captioned "Soldiers' and Sailors' Home, Grand Island, Neb." in red at the top left of the card. It shows the exterior of a large two story red brick and white stone building over a basement level. It has two sets of steps leading up to separate entrances. The roofline has several round and square gables with windows. There is a gravel drive leading up to the building and the surroundings are landscaped with trees and lawn.
Soldiers' & Sailors' Home: Nebraska state legislation approved the location of the state veteran's home on March 4, 1887, in Grand Island. The Legislature stipulated that no fewer than 640 acres be donated for the site. The Grand Island Board of Trade led a drive that raised $25,600 for the land purchased in April 1887, three miles north of the city. The Lincoln Building, the main building at The Home, was dedicated on June 26, 1888. Civil War veteran Oliver P. Duncan became the first veteran admitted on June 28, 1888. The two-story brick and stone building designed by Grand Island architect Julius Fuehrmann was razed in the fall of 1930 to make way for a new Nebraska Veteran's Home building completed in 1931. Source: Karen Keehr, Curator, Research Department, Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer, Grand Island, Nebraska.