Black and white postcard (13 1/2 x 8 1/2 cm) with a view of Douglas County Hospital, 40th & Poppleton, Omaha, Nebraska. There is a series of buildings hidden from view by trees and an empty field at the front of the image.
Plans were begun for a county hospital in 1887. Sections of land were sold to raise the funds. E.E. Myers, a Detroit, MI, architectural firm, designed the building, Ryan & Walsh performed the actual construction, and J.S. Pope & Company installed the steam heating. The total cost of the construction was $132,456. The structure was finished in May 1892. Extensive repairs were made in 1893-94 due to sub-standard materials and building practices. Source: Wakeley, Arthur. Omaha: The Gate City and Douglas County, Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, c1917, p. 353-54.