Black and white photograph (18 x 12.5 cm.) with an exterior view of the Paxton Hotel on the southwest corner of the intersection of 14th and Farnam Streets in Omaha, Nebraska. At the bottom of the image are the words: Paxton Hotel. It is a large five-story building with balconies on the east and north sides. There are horse-drawn buggies and carts parked along the street. There is a sign for ticket office in the corner window and down the street is a large sign for shoes. There are telephone poles on Farnam Street.
This Paxton Hotel was built in 1882 by the Kitchen Brothers. It was named the Paxton after the late William Paxton, Omaha pioneer who lived with his family at the hotel soon after it was built. Military figures such as General George Crook lived at the Paxton. Prominent Omaha families who lived at the Paxton were the J. L. Brandeises and Emil Brandeis, the David Baums, the C. M. Wilhelms, Mrs. Himebaugh, and the Hanscoms. William Jennings Bryan stayed there and President McKinley was a guest during the Trans-Mississippi International Exposition in 1898. Other steady customers were Buffalo Bill and Bob Fitzsimmons, the prize fighter. The Paxton was local headquarters in 1912 for the three major political parties, and that year President Wilson and ex-President Roosevelt stayed at the hotel. In 1928 a fire partially destroyed the hotel. It was replaced with a new Paxton Hotel built on the same site and opened in June, 1929. This structure was recently converted into luxury condos. Source: Omaha Public Library clipping files-Hotels-Paxton Hotel. Omaha World-Herald article: New 11-Story Paxton Will Cost $1,500,000. April 20, 1928.